Sunday, July 22, 2007

breathe inspiration

The idea of a 'good things' blog isn't from my own noggin... but I sure do think it's a great thought! ;)

I first came across the concept a few years back, when I was still new to reading online journals and such. The author of the journal I was reading had pinched the idea from someone else. So, I suppose that today, the tradition lives on!

This blog, 'breathe inspiration,' is to be a place where I can post truly good things. Things that inspire, uplift... and make me happy. And hopefully, somewhere along the way, another person might be cheered, too.

breathe inspiration will not be a personal journal. Sorry kids, no drama to be found here. Instead, I invision this to be an exclusively positive blog. I will do my best to adhere to my own rule for breathe inspiration: there will be no bad-mood posting! To be sure, writing out your woes is a sound, healthy way to rant and clear your mind of negativity. It usually makes the writer feel better - but most times, the reader is brought down. And I don't want that here.

What about the name? Well, I knew that this would be a blog to, at its most basic, list my sources of inspiration. So I headed over to the ever-trusty dictionary.com to search 'insipiration' for, er... inspiration on a name. I found that the word 'inspiration' also means to inhale or breathe. The first word combo that popped up in my brain was 'breathe inspiration.' A few minutes later, I realized that it's also a bit of a pun - breathe in - breathe inspiration - breatheINspiration. You get it, right?


{ The close connection between the words 'inspiration' and 'breathe' also reminded me of the Biblical Greek for 'spirit' - pneuma - which also means 'breath'. I think I know where that link comes from: "Then the LORD formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." - Genesis 2:7, NASB. A spirit is simply the breath of life, from God... I love it. These sorts of profound bits of philosophy and life inspire me. PS - That verse used to crack me up when I was little because of the word 'nostrils'. }


I have this shirt from American Eagle... it's one of my favourites, I wear it all the time. It's light blue, with a large white eagle silhouette in the center. Stiched on top with slightly darker blue thread are these words: FIND INSPIRATION EVERYWHERE. And that's what this blog is all about. The artist in me is just bowled over by the little things in life... and here's where I'd like to share them with all of you.

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on THESE things."- Philippians 4:6-8, NASB


Here's to dwelling on the good.
♥ Jamie

No comments: